This stuff is awesome, I first played with telemetry a couple years ago when I got a DX3S for my cars, it had basic receiver voltage, rpm and temperature. It didn’t have main power monitoring leaving temperature as the most useful read out on a high strung lipo setup to make sure the motors didn’t get toasted. Sadly the surface system is not compatible with the new air telemetry, only marine receivers will bind with the system.
I have a JR DSX11 transmitter (and previously a Spektrum DX6i) which doesn’t have built in telemetry like the DX8 from Spektrum.
My bench test rig is made up of the DSX11, and RD921 (with data port), a TM1000 and the STI TR1000 with a Hyperon 2 cell hooked up to the voltage sensor.
How to get it running:
- First step is to choose the relevant model on the TX and power it down.
- Stick the bind plug in the receiver.
- Power the RX on with the button held down the TM1000 putting both in bind mode.
- Plug the STI into your iPhone and load the spektrum app.
- Choose a model and go to its setup screen, push and hold the bind button for a short period.
- Now you’ll have the bind light flashing on the iPhone, telemetry module and receiver.
- Power up the TX and hold the bind button until all the lights are solid.
This screen shows the temperature top left, the flight pack voltage bottom middle and the receiver voltage top right. The signal bar bottom left shows the connection strength between the STI dongle and the telemetry module.
The middle screen shows the same info again in summery.
The final screen shows brown outs and connection drops, I tested this using the bind button to put the transmitter low single range check mode, covering the aerial with my hand and turned away from the receiver.
Only issue I’ve notice is if the transmitter and the phone are too close to receiver and telemetry model the connection can drop to the STI, unplugging and replugging the dongle connects it back up again. I tested with the transmitter and phone a couple meters away and the single stayed connected.
This just needs field testing now when the weather gets better! I also need to test the TM1100 as well.
Some pics of the test rig set-up, also tested this with an iPad both iPhone and iPad are on iSO5:
If you’re looking for the setting to change temperature and other readings to C or metric they are under the iOS settings icon, scroll down to find the Spektrum.
Download the Spektrum STI app from iTunes here: