Red Arrows Hawk – Nose gear, thrust tube & pics

A while back the HET nose wheel steering arm broke. The grub screw got stuck and the thread stripped when I was trying to remove it. After trying to get a replacement I decided to try and make my own. Parts aren’t available in the UK according to HET and a few shops I called. HET did offer to send a new one however it would have cost $18 + shipping and probably duty. So decided against that.

To make the new steering arm I cut out a bit of steel and welded a collet to it. Then cleaned it all up with a Dremel. So far looks like it should work well.

Made a thrust tube out of some Mylar. I need to make another since the front diameter it a little to big to fit smoothly inside the front tube behind the fan.

With a 4000mAh 25c 4S battery I get a little over 900watts. Had a quick roll around the garden and it seem to accelerate quite well in the grass.

Weight wise its about 1.9 kg (4.19 pounds) at the moment, will be a little more once the canopy is done. So hopefully that will be ok.

So to finish my Jet I need to:-
– make a new thrust tube
– stick on wing fences + rear fins
– complete the canopy. (need to find some smaller pilots, the ones I bought are too big)
– test everything.

Here are some pictures of the progress so far.

This entry was posted in Red Arrows Hawk. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *