Parkzone Ultra-Micro Mustang Brushless Rebuild


I’m pretty much a beginner although I did try flying a few times many years ago (about 16 I think) and I spent quite some time practising in Realflight.

Naturally I bent up the original fuselage and tail a bit, did a number of repairs on the tail which seems to be the weakest spot of the original.

Decided to rebuild the plane and add a brushless setup to it – mainly to make it more efficient and add a little more power.

I bought new foam bits for the rebuild which I strengthened with carbon rod on the weaker spots that I had found during my early flights with the BNF one.

I used an AP05 motor, XP-3A ESC, GWS 5×3 prop, a prop saver mount and a piece of carbon fibre to mount the motor:

Servo horn mount glued in

Linkages taped down

Wing glued down

Cutting ruts for carbon re-enforcements – these will help keep the fuselage straight on a harder nose first landing

Carbon glued in

With extra tape hinges adding – the hinges can come apart on harder impact.

Hole cut for carbon

Carbon rod glued in – this is a very good mod as the tail is very fragile

Servo glued in and tested – have since put it on the more aggressive setting but the servo throw needs to be limiting or the servo and lock up.

Wing glued on

Elevator glued and re-enforced with a thin carbon rod. I added extra tape hinges.

Tail glued in, the carbon goes right down in the fuselage

AR6400 glued in and ESC trial fitted

The motor mount is a piece of 1.5mm carbon fibre cut to shape and air holes added (to aid in cooling the internal electronics)

Prop & prop saver test fit

The spinner need quite a but of hacking up to fit

Tail re-enforcements

Had a little oopsy with some solvent on this side so I’ve replaced the missing bit with a chunk of the old fuselage

The gap here is a bit bigger than I would have liked but its OK.


Flown it about 15 times since the rebuild and it’s much improved – stability and power.

I’m using the bigger 150mah batteries and a DX6i with some expo set on the ailerons and elevator. It does seem a bit zippyer with the smaller 120mah batteries due to the weight saving.

It just needs stickers now to finish it off.

This entry was posted in Mustang. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *